Half of the ski trips normally run by our club are to New York state venues. The health concerns that lead to the cancellation of our trips this season remain and, indeed, are even more concerning.
As of this writing, December 6, 2020, travelers from states that are contiguous with New York, including Pennsylvania, are exempt from New York state’s travel advisory. (See https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory.) That means there are no quarantine or testing requirements that PA travelers need to comply with when traveling to New York state.
However, the reverse is not true:
Excerpts from Pennsylvania’s Coronavirus Travel advisory follow. (See https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Travelers.aspx.)
- The Secretary of Health issued an order requiring travelers over age 11 entering Pennsylvania from locations outside the Commonwealth, including Pennsylvanians who are returning home from locations outside the Commonwealth, to produce evidence of a negative COVID-19 test or place themselves in quarantine for 10 days without testing or a 7-day quarantine with a negative test on or after day 5 of quarantine.
- If someone cannot get a test or chooses not to, they must quarantine for 10 days upon arrival in Pennsylvania.
- This does NOT apply to:
- Individuals who are returning to the Commonwealth after traveling outside the Commonwealth for less than 24 hours.
So, if you want to do a single overnight in NY or are comfortable with traveling and able to comply with Pennsylvania’s requirements, there should be great skiing available to those who seek it.
News About Venues:
These are just a few items I happen to be aware of. If you have more news of interest, let webmaster, Bill Stine, know and he’ll add it to this page.
- Osceola Tug Hill Cross Country Ski Center Inc – One of our favorite ski centers continues for 2020-2021 season under a hybrid model. Tom and Kristin have purchased much of the property and will be grooming, taking care of memberships, trail fees, snack bar, hats gloves etc. Hugh Quinn will be running a season long sale of 30% to 75% off existing ski inventory. He will sell all special orders (if available) at 20% off. Red Camp, north of the road, while open to rent and is still for sale. http://www.uxcski.com/
- Osceola Ski and Sport Resort – is practically next door to Osceola Tug Hill Cross Country Ski Center Inc. Dustin and Christina have their facility up and running with a new lodge, 15K of groomed trails and gear sales. https://skiosceola.com/
- Northern Chateau’s Tug Hill Web Cams – I don’t know how long this site has been around but they have a ton of web cam links arrayed along both sides of the page. While mainly directed at snowmobiling interests, they have ones for Barnes Corners, Osceola Tug Hill and Snow Ridge, all of which are of interest to cross country skiers. http://www.northernchateau.com/
- Mt. Van Hoevenberg – in Lake Placid has been updated with North America’s longest mountain coaster, The Cliffside Coaster. On the Nordic Center side, they added 4km of World Championship rated trails, joining their existing 50km of cross country skiing trails. A new lodge, The Mountain Pass Lodge, is the new Hub of Mt. Van Hoevenberg, complete with a bar/restaurant. https://mtvanhoevenberg.com/
- Paul Smith’s College VIC – The traditional classic skiing VIC trails remain largely the same. However, Paul Smith’s continues its development of newer trails suitable for skate skiing and competition. There are 7.5K of these new trails and, in addition, they have a new US Biathlon partnership and new shooting range. https://www.paulsmiths.edu/vic/