Contributed by Lisa Baer and Bart Richwine
|1||pkg||Hurst HamBeens 15 BEAN SOUP|
|8||cups||Water (use low salt chicken, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor)|
|1½||lb||Smoked Sausage, Ground Sausage (browned in pan), Ham Hocks or Diced Ham.|
|1||tsp||Chili Powder (optional)|
|2||cans||Diced Tomatoes (15 oz.) (one can had mild green chillies)|
Cooking Directions: NO SOAK METHOD
- In a colander or sieve, rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Drain and pour beans in a slow cooker with 8 cups of stock/water, onions, garlic, and meat or hambone. (Not tomato or lemon juice yet!). Use 9-10 cups of liquid if you like a more “brothy” soup.
- Stir to combine. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 5-7 hours then check to make sure beans are tender. The soup can continue to simmer for several hours and will develop more flavor over time.
- After the beans are tender, remove the hambone (leave any ham in the pot), stir in the can of diced tomatoes, the Ham Flavor packet, optional chili powder, and the lemon juice.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve.
We recommend to serve with a freshly baked slice of corn bread! You can also serve over rice as well.
Please keep in mind that every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.
- As with all dry bean recipes, it’s best to wait until AFTER the beans have become tender or fully cooked before adding any acidic ingredients like tomatoes, citrus, vinegars, etc.