The seasonings and long, slow cook time make the sauerkraut very mild. Even folks who don’t like sauerkraut usually like this recipe. Serve with mashed potatoes and applesauce.
This recipe will serve 16 hungry skiers.
|10||lbs||Pork. I usually use pork loin. When making small quantities I often use pork tenderloin. The original, James Beard recipe used a sholder roast.|
|2||bulbs||Garlic, fresh, peeled and sliced|
|5||28 oz cans||Sauerkraut. I prefer Silver Floss brand.|
|3||Large Onions, peeled|
|2||12 oz||Bottles of Beer|
- Rinse the pork and pat dry with paper towels.
- Poke holes in the meat and insert slices of garlic.
- Place the pork in a large pot.
- Add onions, rosemary, sauerkraut and beer to the pot.
- Cover and heat until beginning to boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer very slowly for three hours.
- Remove pork from pot and set aside for at least ten minutes. Then slice in serving-sized pieces.
- Remove onions and cut into pieces to be served alongside pork.
- Remove and discard rosemary stems.